Saltair Community Centre
The Saltair Community Society, a not for profit Corporation, facilitates the operation of the Saltair Community Centre. The Centre is home to Saltair Daycare Society, JEM Registered Massage Therapy, Chemainus Art Group, Saltair Quilters, and Align With Jessica (Yoga). If you are looking for a room to rent for a specific function, see below for further details or click on the highlighted link to go to the Saltair Community Centre website:
Available Spaces for Rent:
- Room #17 (900 sq ft) available from 8 am-9 pm weekdays and weekends- $15.00 for the first 2 hrs and $7.50 for each additional hour thereafter. Please call 250-210-8180 to book.
- Room #18 (900 sq ft) available from 8 am-9 pm weekdays and weekends- $15.00 for the first 2 hrs and $7.50 for each additional hour thereafter. Please call 250-210-8180 to book.
- Room #1 Auditorium (1800 sq ft) Rental Rate: $25.00 for a two hour minimum, $10.00 for each hour thereafter. Special Event Rate: $125.00/day. Features: stage, with sound equipment, speaker’s podium, stage bolsters,small prep area (No stove or fridge), seating for 150 persons. Call: 250-210-8180 to book.
- Auditorium Rental – Size: 1800 sq ft, Rental Rate: $25.00 for a two hour minimum, $10.00 for each hour thereafter. Special Event Rate: $125.00/day.
- Features: stage, with sound equipment, speaker’s podium, stage risers ,small kitchen prep area (No stove or fridge), seating for 150 persons. Call: 250-210-8180 to book
Are You Interested in Joining a fun Group or a Class? See the following Choices for more Info……
Fitness Classes at Saltair Centre
Ages 55 and Up! Mobility – Core – Balance- Strength- Stretching
Classes will begin Monday, September 16th at 10:15 am to 11:15 am and every Wednesday at 4:30 pm to 5:30 pm the Saltair Community Center gymnasium. Classes run for 60 minutes.
You will learn a wide variety of techniques tailored to you meet your current fitness level. ALL fitness levels are welcome.
If you are under the age of 55 and are interested in attending a class please let me know in the comment section below and I’d be happy to offer a second class.
Please email or call us to reserve your spot. Classes are limited to 12 people. $15.75 per person.
Coach and Instructor -Tyler Buck: 250-716-6306
Chemanius Art Group
The Chemainus Art Group is collaborative group of 60 plus artists that have formed a membership and a permanent home in Saltair Centre. They gather throughout the week, to meet, create art, develop their skills, share knowledge and socialize. The group is promoting art culture in the area and fully invested in the success of Saltair Centre. See below for photos of the group helping to spruce up the Centre and artists creating artworks.
“Lovely group of like-minded artists who enjoy painting together, a great diversity of media and approaches -they are always willing to share their experience and we all benefit from this interACTIVE club!” – Lauren Spilsbury
Saltair Quilters and Fiber Arts
The group is busy creating beautiful pieces of art at Saltair Centre.
Would you like to participate in a Yap and Yarn adventure?
We meet every Tuesday from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Saltair Community Centre, on South Oyster School Rd., formerly known as Mt. Brenton School.
We call ourselves the Saltair Quilters but we don’t just quilt, we knit, crochet, embroider, stitch and bead. The result of our efforts are always artistic and sometimes even useful. 🙂
Do you feel the need to socialize and craft? Come, drop in, bring a craft and join in and you will find us welcoming to all!
See the following photos of some of the items that are being lovingly created.
If you are interested in joining the group , they quilt together every Tuesday, from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm at the Saltair Centre.
Contact: Christa Stegemann, 250-245-2016 for further details or email Susan: smmaycock [at] hotmail [dot] com.
Services in the Centre:
Saltair Daycare Society
Day Care Services
Saltair Daycare Society is dedicated to the provision of safe, well-managed day care services for children, provided by full and part-time, qualified, staff. Its goal is to stimulate independent growth, emotional growth, social growth, intellectual growth and physical growth among its charges.
The services Saltair Daycare Society provides to the public include:
- Full and part-time day care ages 0 to 12 years
- Resource program for children with special needs
- Before and after school care for school age children
The daycare also provides subsidized services for parents in need, based on an assessment made by Ministry of Children and Families.
All of our staff are qualified with certificates from the Early Childhood Education Registry of British Columbia as either a Responsible Adult, Early Childhood Education Assistant, Early Childhood Educator, and Infant Toddler Educator based on the amount of schooling that has been completed.
They have Criminal Record Checks through the Ministry of Justice and valid first aid training. We take advantage of professional development workshops from all over the world to gain differing perspectives in Early Childhood Education.
We have several programs to choose from to meet the needs of children and families.
- Infant (0-18 months)
- Toddler (18 months to 3 years)
- Preschool (30 months to School Age)
- Daycare (30 months to School Age)
- Before and After School
- Visit www.ilmeducationcenter.com
- Email inquiringlittleminds [at] gmail [dot] com
- Call (250) 924-7774
Visit our Facebook page: www.facebook.com/southoyster/
JEM Massage Therapy:
JEM Massage Therapy is owned and operated by Joanne McNamara, Registered Massage Therapist.
Therapeutic, yet inviting.
• Hands on Approach.
• Incorporating Mind, Body, and Spirit.
• To work with other health care professionals so as to provide the best care possible to you, the client.
• Incorporating different modalities and treatment techniques to meet and satisfy the musculoskeletal health care goals of any person, of any age, within the parameters as set by the College of Massage Therapists of British Columbia, Registered Massage Therapist’s governing body.
• To educate and to empower.
Membership: Saltair Community Society
Are you interested in joining the Saltair Community Society? We welcome those who would like to support or endorse the endeavours of the Saltair Community Society. Click on green highlighted text below to open our membership form. Please print/fill out and either drop off at Saltair Centre Room #20 or mail in to the address supplied on the membership form. form – Membership fee is $10.00/year, or $15.00/yr for a family. If you are an existing member it is required to renew annually to remain a member in good standing. Thank you.
If you are looking for ways to get involved, volunteers are eagerly needed in the following areas:
- Work parties for: interior/exterior maintenance, painting, pressure washing, planter box maintenance, and grounds clean up.
- Fund Raising events
- Event Planning
- Grant Application writing
- Organize coffee/tea/baked good social gathering, weekly or monthly
On behalf of the Society’s Board of Directors, we would like to thank the many residents of Saltair who have supported the vision of a Saltair Centre as we build community wellness for future generations. Your encouragement is very much appreciated!
Saltair Extravaganza 2016
On February 6th, we hosted the community officially change the name from Mt. Brenton School to the Saltair Centre. There was a cutting of the ribbon and cake by the original student, Gloria Hill, who named Mt Brenton School in 1950. Ron Madden performed the duties of Master of Ceremonies. Over 200 people attended the event where local singer and songwriter Terry Boyle performed his song “Sunny Saltair”.
Special thanks to the secondary school students Madison Hendricks, Emma Brunt, Noah Hendericks, Emily Wilson, Benjamin Blackley and Logan Godau for their help setting up and programming
Ken and Diana MacTavish did a terrific job at decorating the centre with “I Love Saltair” Valentines theme. Sean Jonas was in charge of the food and the publicity, Dave Key purchasing and operations, John Silins and Bill Cleary, set up and take down. Ed Nicholson worked hard to develop Saltair Historical Society with family story boards posted around the entire building, hallways and gym.
Thanks to Gary and Sandra Hendricks who did a tremendous amount of work with the story boards and the set up.
Christa Stegemann of the Quilting Society displayed their efforts at the event to promote a quilting group in Saltair.
Submitted by Mel Dorey Area G Director (2016)